Front Brake linkage

All about Original DPs. Questions and answers on all aspects of DPs.
Daifromwales

Front Brake linkage

Postby Daifromwales » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:27 am

My friend's Pedersen has front brake linkage to the stirrup hidden inside the handlebars and down the stem. How the pull negotiates the corner at the top of the stem is a complete mystery. We are sure it is original. The bike has a full chain case with transfer. Is this unique? It also has its original leather tool bag. Elliptical 3-speed gear. It is geared somewhat on the high side...

Anyway - the brake is the mystery. We don't feel like stripping it all down just for fun. So does anyone know what's inside? I admit I'm a bit nervous about having brake linkages that cannot be inspected!

Pedersen
Site Admin

Re: Front Brake linkage

Postby Pedersen » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:05 pm

A very nice design, and not dangerous to attempt repairs. One of my cables frayed and broke inside the handlebars. Here is a photo of the parts.

The cables had pear shaped nipples at the brake levers, and a crimped copper ferrule at the other. It was easier to reverse the old spare cable I used (nipple too small) so I crimped the lever end instead.

From memory I think the cables run through small tubes inside the handlebars, and this makes for a smooth run through the 'bars.
dp-brakes.jpg
dp-brakes.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 7547 times

Daifromwales

Re: Front Brake linkage

Postby Daifromwales » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:50 am

Thanks for that - it all looks like what we have. So there is a captive cable...I thought it would be a bit tight for a bell crank.

Return to “Dursley Pedersen Originals”