Saddle comfort, 'sit bones', etc

Discussion about New Pedersens - including Copenhagen, Kemper, Cheltenham, Sutton etc
Biscuit

Saddle comfort, 'sit bones', etc

Postby Biscuit » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:06 am

Quick query before I plunge into buyin a Kemper frame, forks, saddle, bars (I have all the other bits e.g Rhollof, and so on).

I plan to test ride a Ped' too before I go there.

What part of the body do you use to sit on a properly set up Pedersen? The sit bones a la other diamond framed bikes?

Reason? Intrigued re various types of saddle one can use with Ped' (hammock, leather topped hammock, Brooks trad and so on). Some look firm and some look slack.......

Your thoughts, is it meant to be sit bones or does it translate into sit bones plus perineum (which for some is not good :!: )

Hammock

Re: Saddle comfort, 'sit bones', ect

Postby Hammock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:40 am

I think most Pedersen owners ride on their 'cheeks' in a sit-up-and-beg style. But don't think this is the only way.

Your riding position - and how you connect to the saddle - is infinitely adjustable to suit your own style of riding.

sit-comfortably4.jpg
sit-comfortably4.jpg (59.45 KiB) Viewed 14000 times

Gyso

Re: Saddle comfort, 'sit bones', etc

Postby Gyso » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:11 pm

I visited Kemper a couple of years ago with the intention of buying one of his conventional frames. I build my own wheels and none of the local dealers was interested in selling me "half a bike."
I saw all those Pedersens, asked for a test ride and was hooked. The test bike had a leather hammock saddle and that's what I ordered. It's so much more comfortable than conventional saddles.
My Pedersen btw is single speed with 120 mm dropouts at the rear, which keeps the top tubes close together. Silent transmission with minimal losses.

Biscuit

Re: Saddle comfort, 'sit bones', ect

Postby Biscuit » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Gyso wrote:I visited Kemper a couple of years ago with the intention of buying one of his conventional frames. I build my own wheels and none of the local dealers was interested in selling me "half a bike."
I saw all those Pedersens, asked for a test ride and was hooked. The test bike had a leather hammock saddle and that's what I ordered. It's so much more comfortable than conventional saddles.
My Pedersen btw is single speed with 120 mm dropouts at the rear, which keeps the top tubes close together. Silent transmission with minimal losses.
Hammock wrote:I think most Pedersen owners ride on their 'cheeks' in a sit-up-and-beg style. But don't think this is the only way.

Your riding position - and how you connect to the saddle - is infinitely adjustable to suit your own style of riding.

sit-comfortably4.jpg

Ta for the replies, Gyso, I spoke with 'Michael' at Kemper today in addition to some email traffic. They do sell 'half a bike' :) that is my plan still. As for the seating - Hammock - I have noted comments re adjustibility and individuality. I think from further research the design is that you do use your sit bones even on a 'hammock' or leather hammock style but perhaps not as much as on a standard type saddle and that 'cheeks' come into it a lot.

any road up, watch this space!

Biscuit

Postby Biscuit » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:54 pm

Hmmmmm, .......................... I do believe that I will take deliverey of a Pedersen Manufaktur Model T in the next few days or so.......... on trial!!

So I will get to test a leather type of seat out. Let you know how my 'sit bones' and other bits go.

I wont believe it till I see it though, as while Kalle Kalkhoff sounds like a nice guy - the business model he uses sounds too good to be true! :o

Watch this space for a write up of a model T :)

As my teenage son says - laters.

Biscuit

Postby Biscuit » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:07 pm

For those who are interested, a black model T pitched up on my doorstep on Christmass Eve! :o :shock: 8-)

I didnt see who or how it was delivered as it was my son who took deliverey (he is 14 I do not know what grunt, grunt, sigh, roll of eyes mean in teenage speak in relation to my questyions re deliverey, I'm not even sure he signed anything).

All it required was a) taking out of the box,
b) handlebars turning 90 deg,
c) a quick check for my handlebar height and inside leg (previoiusly sent to Kalle before despatch) and
d) a check of all nuts and bolts before.........................................................
e) I choose a day to go and ride it.

It has F & R lights, guards, 8 speed.

I am a little excited and apprehensive as while I have owned and ridden a Pashley Soverign (itself quite tall), the Ped is indeed an imposing piece of machinerey!

HNY when it arrives.
Approximately a weeks hire and trial for 70 Euro. :lol: How marvellous! More to follow.

Return to “New Pedersens”