First Cheltenham Pedersen of the month?

Discussion about New Pedersens - including Copenhagen, Kemper, Cheltenham, Sutton etc
hotbulb

First Cheltenham Pedersen of the month?

Postby hotbulb » Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:31 am

For some reason I've never paid any attention to the frame number of my Cheltenham Pedersen, but last night I did take a look at it.

The number is 011085

Does this mean that it's the first one made in October 1985, or does it mean it is the first Cheltenham Pedersen - which seems very unlikely?

I still need to get a new headstock transfer for it, I know there were some on here last year, but if anybody has a good scan of one it may be possible to recreate it?

Regards
Philip

[NOTE - Frame Number and date corrected by Site Admin for clarity and easy reading]

hotbulb

Re: First Cheltenham Pedersen of the month?

Postby hotbulb » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:04 am

Slight typo there, the frame number is actually 011085...

NOTE - corrections have already been made to the original post, above!

Pedersen
Site Admin

Re: First Cheltenham Pedersen of the month?

Postby Pedersen » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:10 pm

This looks to me as if you do have the first Cheltenham Pedersen - but this needs to be explained in a bit more detail!

The earliest 'Cheltenham' frames were in fact imported from Jesper in Copenhagen and built-up and sold as Cheltenham Pedersens. Later, Chris Margenout's Individual Bicycles Company built their own frames from superior Reynolds 531 tubing and were marketed with the help of well designed glossy brochures.

After some early tests, the "First 50 bicycles were made on a production line basis - 22 October [1985]" (Info from a company record).The numbering of these first true Cheltenham Pedersens was new and, I believe, started with your number 011085 (frame 01, October, 1985). My own first (blue) frame is also from this period, number 251185, and was the Harrods display model!

What colour is your frame?

Return to “New Pedersens”